Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Healthy Chocolate Mylk?

As a busy mother of four young children, I'm always trying to find creative ways of sneaking nutrition into my kids everday foods. Cacao is one of those wonderful ingredients that is so delicious and flavorful, that you can add just about anything to it and no one is the wiser.

For example, my sweet daughter, shown here, is enjoying a simple glass of chocolate mylk - but it's so much more than that. I'll share my secret with you, but only if you don't tell my children...

Nutritious and Purely Delicious
Chocolate Mylk

2 1/2 C Brazil nut mylk (about 6 Brazil nuts, 2 1/2 C water, 2 dates - blended well and strained)
2" piece of vanilla bean (http://www.beanilla.com/ has the best pricing on these!)
2-3 T of raw cacao powder, or carob if you prefer
2-3 T raw honey or agave nectar
2 tsp. hemp butter
2 C fresh spinach leaves
pinch of sea salt

Blend everything together in a Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Pour over ice or add some ice to blender before processing.

Whatever you do, don't let them see you making this - they'll never know it's good for them!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made it again this morning, and put some Acai fruit in the mix. Makes a wonderful chocolate/berry flavor - very yummy!